Can I call the Ticket Office to order tickets?

The only phone number that you can call to order tickets to Memorial Coliseum events is 800.745.3000. This is the Ticketmaster National charge-by-phone number. The regular Ticket Office phone number is for information only.

Is resale (scalping) of tickets permitted?

Personal resale of tickets (scalping) is strictly prohibited on the premises of the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum. Violators will be subject to arrest for trespassing. Please see a member of our guest services staff or manager on duty to report this activity.

Do you have motorized carts available?

We do have a limited supply of standard wheelchairs available for guests to use while in the building. Please see a Guest Services Staff member, in a red jacket, upon your arrival in the lobby. You will be required to show identification before being given a wheelchair to use during your visit.

Can I bring a camera or camcorder to a concert or family show?

It depends on each individual artist or performer's policies. Usually, small point-and-shoot cameras and cell-phone cameras are allowed. Cameras with lenses on them considered to be professional-length are not allowed to be brought into the arena. Ushers will ask guests to leave such cameras in their cars. Professional-length camera lenses are considered to be 3.5 inches or longer. Audio or video recording is also almost never allowed at concerts or family shows. The Memorial Coliseum will make its best effort to post each event's camera and recording policy on its web site, several days prior to the event.

What are the dates of the next Vera Bradley Outlet Sale?

Visit for the latest information about their annual Outlet Sale.

What are Club Seats?

Club Seats are the two rows of black leather arena seats, just below the luxury suites and above the top of the 200 level sections. Club Seat tickets include food and beverage service, right at your seat, from a full menu of sandwiches, salads, snacks and drinks. The cost of food and beverage is not included in the ticket price.

Club Seat ticket holders gain access to their seats through the Premium Seating level which offers nicer restrooms and comfortable lounge areas to relax during intermission or breaks in the action.

For more information, visit Club Seats.

How do I rent a private Luxury Suite for a sporting event?

All of the Memorial Coliseum's 24 luxury suites are privately owned, except for one. Suite 501 is the suite that the Memorial Coliseum leases for individual events. For Komets games, the schedule usually fills up fast, soon after the season's schedule is released. Call the Director of Premium Seating at 260.480.2186 for pricing and availability. 

How much is the parking fee?

It costs $6.00 to park a standard vehicle (car, truck, van) in the Main Lot and $10.00 in the Preferred Lot, which is accessible via the Coliseum Boulevard main entrance. It costs $18.00 for bus, RV or limousine parking.

At this time, all parking booths accept CASH ONLY. The parking fees are for a single entry.

For more information and a map of the parking lots, visit Directions & Parking.

Who do I contact about lost and found items?

Call or visit the Administrative Office of the Memorial Coliseum during normal business hours. The phone number is 260.482.9502. You can also call or visit during an arena event, when the Administrative Office is staffed.

What are the hours for the ticket office?

Ticket Office Regular Hours

  • Monday-Friday: 10:00am - 5:00pm (open for events in the evening)
  • Saturday: 10:00am - 2:00pm (open for events in the evening)
  • Sunday: closed, except for event days

The Memorial Coliseum Ticket Office is also open for all ticketed events outside normal hours of operation, including Sundays.

You can also purchase tickets to events 24 hours a day and 7 days a week, at or charge-by-phone at 800.745.3000.

How can I buy a backstage pass for a concert?

Normally, backstage passes for concerts are not for sale. Most often, backstage passes are obtained through record labels, fan clubs or radio stations. Rarely, does the venue distribute backstage passes for any event.

Where can I smoke when attending events?

There is no smoking permitted inside the Memorial Coliseum, as well as within 20 feet of any outside entrance to the building. This includes all e-cigarettes.

There are two outdoor designated smoking areas for the arena. The first is on the Coliseum Boulevard (northeast) side of the building, outside the 100 level doors that are marked as a designated smoking area. If you are unsure where this is located, ask an usher in a red coat and they will direct you accordingly.

The second designated smoking area is on the patio, outside of the Rooftop Lounge. You must be at least 21 years of age to enter the Rooftop Lounge and use this smoking area.

For Expo Center events, there will be a designated outdoor smoking area outside the glass doors. Please ask an usher for direction, if you are unsure of its location.

How do I get my non-profit group signed up to work a concession stand at an event?

Contact ARAMARK at the Memorial Coliseum by calling 260.484.6486.

How are the seats numbered in each row. Which side is seat 1 on?

If you're on the stage, at center ice or at center court...and looking out at the seats, seat 1 is always on the left side of the row.

I want to buy handicap accessible seating for an event (wheelchair, walker, cane, etc.) and Ticketmaster says no tickets are available. I know the event is not sold out.

There are a couple of different options. 1) Call Ticketmaster at (800) 745-3000 and use their automated system to choose the event you want to attend. When you’re ready to buy, you can say that you’re looking for “accessible seating” and you will be transferred to an agent you will assist you. The prices (fees, etc.) that you will pay over the phone are the same as you would pay online. 2) Visit to the Memorial Coliseum Ticket Office and speak to an agent in person and ask for accessible seating options.

Why do veterans have to pay for parking at the "War Memorial Coliseum?"

The answer is unfortunately complicated. The Coliseum has approximately 50 million dollars of tax exempt bonds that were issued when we built the Expo Center, as well as, when we expanded and renovated the Arena and also for the new Conference Center project. The tax exempt bonds have "consistent use" requirements from the IRS that state that we must charge all facility users, clients and guests, the same amount for use of the facility. If we deviate from our rate sheet, or set pricing, the bonds could become taxable, thus significantly increasing their cost. The overall operation of the facility would be significantly and adversely affected.

Does the Coliseum have wireless internet available?

Yes, the Coliseum offers complimentary limited band width WIFI for most events. Directions: Connect to the facilities' access point (War Memorial Coliseum) and you will be connected. 

Where can I pick up or drop off guests without paying to park?

Guests can be dropped off at the circle drive, also known as Bob Chase Way, in front of the main entrance and Ticket Office. This area can be accessed from eastbound Coliseum Boulevard by turning right into entrance marked "VIP Parking" and "Ticket Pick-Up." The Preferred Parking Lot can also be accessed via this entrance.

Access to the circle drive is limited to 15 minutes, to allow time to purchase tickets at the Ticket Office or for picking up and/or dropping off guests.

For more information, visit Parking & Directions.

Does the Coliseum have wheelchairs available for guests to use while in the building?

Yes, we have a limited supply of wheelchairs available for guests to use while in the building. Please see a Guest Services Staff member, in a red jacket, upon your arrival in the lobby. You will be required to show identification before being given a wheelchair to use during your visit.

What are the Prohibited Items for the arena?

PROHIBITED ITEMS at the Memorial Coliseum include, but are not limited to, outside food and beverage, laser light pointers, selfie sticks, air horns, umbrellas, bottles, cans, large bags and/or coolers.

Each individual event has the right to set their own policy for bringing weapons/firearms into the spaces that they lease for their event, according to Indiana state law. When an event has banned weapons, a written notice is posted either via poster or digital television display near the entrance to that event.

How many reception rooms do you have available?

If you include the three separate rooms of the main Expo Center, the total is 13.

  • Expo I
  • Expo II
  • Expo III
  • Expo IV
  • White Room
  • Red Room
  • Appleseed Ballroom
  • Archer Room
  • Expo Lobby
  • Upper Rotunda
  • Rooftop Lounge
  • Century Club

For more information on any or all of these reception room options at the Memorial Coliseum, please see our Event Space, or call a member of our event sales team at 260.482.9502.

Who do I contact about advertising in a team's program?

You should call each team, respectively, for information about their event programs. 

Komets: (260) 483-0011

Mad Ants: (260) 469-4667

Can I use another catering company for my event at the Coliseum?

The preferred and in-house food and beverage service provider at the Memorial Coliseum is Aramark. Lessees who use Aramark can also get their room rental for free when a minimum food and beverage order is met. Call our Catering Sales Manager at 260.482.9502 for more information.

However, the Memorial Coliseum does offer a list of additional approved caterers that can be used for your events. To view the approved caterers list, click here.

The Memorial Coliseum does NOT allow event clients to bring in their own food and beverage for their event. All food and beverage must be provided by Aramark, or an approved outside caterer.

Can I bring in my own food and beverage?

Guests are not permitted to bring food and/or beverages into the building, with the exceptions of baby food stored in reasonably small containers or baby bottles.

Event organizers, promoters and staff are also prohibited from bringing in their own food and/or beverage. To contract your event's catering with Aramark, the Coliseum's full-service, in-house caterer, call the Catering Sales Coordinator at 260-482-9502. Or, an event may choose to contract their food and beverage service with an approved outside caterer.

Do you have in-house catering services?

YES! Aramark is the official food and beverage provider for events at the Memorial Coliseum. Their culinary staff can provide everything from snacks and munchies to plated, five-course gourmet meals.

When you use Aramark to cater your event at the Memorial Coliseum and meet your room's food and beverage minimum requirement, your rental cost is credited back towards your catering bill. Use Aramark and your room rental can be FREE!

Call our Catering Sales Manager at 260-482-9502 for more information about menus and pricing. Let the event professionals at the Memorial Coliseum help you plan the perfect event.

View a PDF file of our current Catering Menu

Plan an Event Resources

Do you have public ice skating sessions?

The Fort Wayne Komets have open skating sessions following all their Sunday evening games on the schedule ( A game ticket is required for admission and you must provide your own skates. We don't have skates available for rent.

What phone number do I call to order tickets?

Ticketmaster's charge-by-phone number, to order tickets for Memorial Coliseum events, is 800.745.3000.

What hotels are near the Coliseum and which do you recommend?

A new, full-service Holiday Inn, with an on-site restaurant, pool and fitness center, is now open for business, directly across the street from the Memorial Coliseum. It is the Official Hotel of the Memorial Coliseum. You can visit their web site at, or call 260.482.3800 for rates, reservations or more information.

For information about other hotels in the area, visit our online Hotel Guide here.

My child is two years old. Do they need a separate ticket for an event?

Each event can set their own age requirements for children's tickets. Most family shows require children who have reached their first birthday to have their own ticket. Sporting events may be different. For the most accurate information available, on each event, visit that event's detail page in the Events Calendar on this web site, or call the Ticket Office at 260.483.1111.

How do I apply for employment at the Memorial Coliseum?

You can visit the Memorial Coliseum's Administrative Office during normal business hours to pick up an application for part-time, hourly and event-based employment positions. It can be filled out immediately, or taken with you to fill out and return.

There are currently NO FULL-TIME employment positions available at the Coliseum. For more information, visit our employment page here.

Who do I contact about singing the national anthem at sporting events?

Each team, respectively, handles their own arrangements for performances of the national anthem prior to their games. That is not arranged or coordinated by Memorial Coliseum staff.

Why can't I turn right in the parking lot, after entering through the Coliseum Boulevard entrance?

When we modified the parking lot this fall, we added an additional drive lane that is utilized during peak times to improve the time it takes to get vehicles on the parking lot through the Coliseum Boulevard entrance. We have changed the inbound traffic flow at peak times in an attempt to eliminate vehicles getting stuck in the Coliseum Boulevard-Paul Shaffer Drive intersection. We are still tweaking the process and will allow people to turn right from that entrance during non-peak times. If you need to drop someone off at the front doors, the simplest way to do that is to use the ticket office “circle drive” which enters the Coliseum complex just west of the Paul Shaffer Drive intersection.

Does the building rent strollers during tradeshows or sale events?

No, the Memorial Coliseum does not rent strollers. Guests are welcome to bring their own child strollers into the building for tradeshows or sale events in the Expo Center.

Who do I contact if I have a question, comment or complaint?

If you want to share a comment or complaint with a building staff member, call our administrative office at 260.482.9502 and your call will be routed to the proper department.